Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Lacey's neck...

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, I know she has. But my pretty has an awful neck problem. She's resting in our room at the moment, drugged to the hilt on Vicodin, Soma and Valium. I gave her a massage, put some BioFreeze on and tried heat and ice, but it didn't do much. When all else fails, get stoned. ;)

She downplays how strong she really is. A certain mom (that's spelled backwards to shield her identity) told me that she sees Lacey looking pretty uncomfortable sometimes at work. She hasn't had a lot of bad nights in terms of waking up in pain, but she sleeps on four big pillows and even then she tosses and turns and whimpers a lot.

She has an appointment with her orthopedist on Friday which I will be taking her to. She is absolutely terrified of having to have neck surgery. I know the accident she was in gave her nasty whiplash, caused cervical disk damage and she's got bonespurs, too. Her car was totalled and it was not her fault. She's done the PT, the injections, the same song and dance I've been going through for five years with my back... Surgery might be the last option left.

I know they've got those fancy lazer surgeries now, but even with good insurance, you end up paying for some and she can't take on anymore bills at present. I've promised her that if it comes to that, I'll help her every step of the way. I know they wouldn't let me, but I'd go in the O.R. and hold her hand if she wanted. Her sister had to do that when she had her injections. (The only pain worse than a needle in your spine is child birth. Done both.)

We'll see what happens Friday, but I hate seeing her in pain... Gonna go see if she needs anything else.

Rei

2 comments:

  1. Poor Lady L. :( I hope something can be done about her neck. Constant pain is such hell. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Adra! I really try to cope with it as best I can. I hate taking pills, always have. There are just so many horror stories about spinal surgery of any kind. There are few guarantees in life, but there are even fewer with these types of surgeries. It could help, but it could also do nothing or even make it worse.

    The accident was horrible. I got hit head-on by some asshole that was trying to make an illegal pass. The front end of my car looked like a broken accordion. (Oh my god! You killed my Beetle!) My neck is screwed up from snapping forward then backward violently. Two days in the hospital and an ugly neckbrace... Morphine doesn't like me much, either.

    I got my car replaced, my uncovered medical bills paid and a big fat check for pain and suffering that's almost gone. Do you think all these clothes came out of nowhere? :p I'd rather have less stuff and no pain, honestly.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete