Wednesday, May 27, 2015

For white girls that wanna look like Japanese girls who wanna look like white girls...

There is Gyaru. I've just sorta done this look over the years without talking about it very much. Gyaru "Gal" in Nihonglish is a style that has been around for many, many years now. Gyaru's are kinda the valley girls of Japan. They're sort of uppity, materialistic and not always bright. I watched a clip in which they took a bunch of Gyaru's phones away (you DON'T do that!) and made them perform...certain "acts" on some nice young men to get them back. Nobody does reality competition like those wacky Japanese! XD

But Jesus do they LOOK fantastic! And that is why I do this look. Not that I haven't done things for stupid shit, but... Anyway, the whole point of the look is for Japanese girls to look western and exotic. Many Japanese women see themselves as all looking the same and this is a way to stand out and be more desirable. The look is more about hair and makeup than clothing.

Whether they dye and style it or opt for wigs (usually the ones sporting really long hair are wigged) the brunette curly/straight combo is the signature. Some do blonde, but brunette seems to be most preferred. Hair decorations like usamimi (bunny ears), barrettes/clips and flowers are common, too. The makeup is key, though. Obviously, I don't have the skintone to use exactly what they do over there. The point is to make your skin darker, but a lot of them overdue it and venture into that dangerous Ganguro territory. Me personally, I usually either just do my regular facial regimen or go completely into that doll territory. But it's EYELASHES, ladies! They have eyelashes for days! Falsies are a must and western girls don't need to go crazy making their eyes look more round, but a good smokey eye is your friend.

Like I said, clothing is sorta secondary, but you can do this with Lolita/EGL and look more amazing. Otherwise, anything goes, but a miniskirt or short dress would probably be most authentic.

I did this look on an almost daily basis from the latter half of 2010 through a good bit of 2011. I never really stopped and when I'm not Rainbow Hime, Miku or whatever, I usually do my makeup this way and my hair has been brunette most of the last year plus. Sort of "Everyday Gyaru", you could say. Below is a sampling of pics in no particular oder...












Rei~



3 comments:

  1. You are so beautiful.... Especially that last picture just takes my breath away. Lacey, you are one damn lucky girl! I wish I looked like you, darling. The look is really lovely. I'd like to learn how you did the eye makeup in the last picture. I've never worn fake eyelashes, mostly because I have a very difficult time with contacts and my lashes already swish against my glasses. I'm investigating toric lenses, as those have been said to show some promise for those with astigmatism and really dry eyes. We shall see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so, so much! :3 You are too kind to me and I will probably disappoint in person, but I appreciate the ego boost, nonetheless! I will show you all my makeup trickery! At least within the 10 minutes I have after you're done with Laceybug! XD Love you! :3 *Hugs*

    Rei~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding!? lol I'd be bankrupt ten times over just trying to look like you do in that last picture! I saw it before we met and I nearly dropped dead! You are a living doll and everyone that sees you thinks so. And do you know what I'd do to have skin like yours? You're not disappointing anyone, especially Adra. We both adore you! XOXO ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete